Former groundworker Nathan Shelley was discovered unresponsive by his mum after taking an overdose of painkillers.
The 29-year-old had been prescribed the tablets since he suffered a severe harm to his hand, which left him unable to work.
An inquest into Nathan’s dying heard he had a behavior of taking greater than his prescribed dose, so he could not have meant to take his personal life.
He had suffered from issues along with his psychological well being previously and had not too long ago misplaced his dad.
The inquest heard how Nathan’s mum, Jackie, had discovered her son unresponsive in mattress when she returned to their dwelling in Villa Shut, Biddulph, at 4pm on January 4.
Paramedics had been known as however there was nothing they may do and Nathan was pronounced lifeless. Empty packets of his prescription medicine had been present in his room and within the bin.
The inquest heard Nathan had an accident in 2019 which brought on severe harm to the tendons in his hand. He had 4 operations and was prescribed the painkillers dihydrocodeine and gabapentin.
In an announcement, Mrs Shelley stated: “There had been issues with him taking extreme medicine. It might not be uncommon for him to take all of it in just a few days, then not take any till his subsequent prescription.
“He had had issues along with his psychological well being and had tried suicide earlier than. He additionally had points with alcohol throughout his grownup life.”
Mrs Shelley stated within the days earlier than his dying, her son had stated he didn’t really feel properly and spent a whole lot of time in mattress.
“I requested if he felt low and wanted to talk to somebody,” she stated. “He stated, ‘No, I really feel like I’m coming down with a chilly’.
“He totally cleaned his room the evening earlier than, to an uncommon commonplace. When he went to mattress, he took a paperweight which contained his dad’s ashes to his room. He stated, ‘I’ll take this so dad is with me’. His phrases appear extra important in gentle of his dying.”
Exams revealed Nathan’s dying was attributable to dihydrocodeine and gabapentin toxicity.
The inquest heard he had beforehand been below the care of psychological well being companies, however missed a collection of appointments in 2019 earlier than asking to be discharged in August as a result of he now not wanted help.
In an announcement Paula Fairclough, from North Staffordshire Wellbeing Service, stated Nathan then contacted the service in December 2019, when he stated he was struggling because the dying of his dad.
He was given an appointment for December 11 however didn’t flip up. He stated he had forgotten about it and one other was made for February 5, however he died earlier than he might attend.
Assistant coroner Sarah Murphy stated she couldn’t ensure that Nathan had meant to take his personal life.
She stated: “I discover there’s inadequate proof to find out whether or not the overdose was deliberate or unintentional. The quantities of medicine look like excessive, however he had a longtime behavior of taking a whole lot of his medicine directly. Consequently it’s unattainable to say that when he took the medicine, he meant to take his personal life.
“I conclude that Mr Shelley died from a self-administered overdose of prescribed medicine.”