This can be a scrumptious and wholesome recipe that virtually screams FALL. Children love consuming proper out of the baked squash, as an alternative of a bowl. Be happy to substitute barley for Farro if obligatory.
Stuffed acorn squash
Components – serves 6:
3 small acorn squash
Three tbsp. olive oil, divided
Freshly floor black pepper
1 c. farro (barley may be substituted)
2 c. plus 2 tablespoons apple cider, divided
2 sprigs contemporary thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ lb. candy Italian sausage
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. contemporary thyme, chopped
1 bunch kale, stems eliminated and chopped
1.Preheat oven to 400°. Reduce every finish off squash and halve.
2. Use a spoon to take away seeds and brush throughout with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast till tender, 30-35 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make farro or barley: in a medium sauce pan, mix farro or barley with 2 cups cider, 1 cup water, and thyme sprigs. Convey to a simmer and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till liquid is evaporated and farro is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. In case your liquid is evaporated and farro is just not but tender, add extra water a ¼ cup at a time. Take away thyme sprigs.
4. In the meantime, make filling: in a big skillet over medium warmth, warmth remaining oil. Add sausage and cook dinner, breaking apart with a wood spoon and stirring sometimes till golden and cooked by means of, 5 minutes. Take away sausage with a slotted spoon onto a paper-towel lined plate.
5. Drain most fats from the skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon for cooking. Add onion and celery and cook dinner till comfortable, 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and chopped thyme and cook dinner till aromatic, 1 minute extra.
6. Add kale and cook dinner, stirring continuously. Add remaining 2 tablespoons cider after Four minutes of cooking, then cook dinner Four minutes extra, or till kale is tender.
7. Add cooked farro and sausage to skillet with greens and stir to mix. Style and alter seasoning as wanted. Divide combination among the many 6 squash halves. Change oven to broil and broil till tops are golden and filling is warmed, 2 to three minutes.