Might 4, 2021
- 75 profitable initiatives rolled out, together with over 40 actions devoted to combatting COVID-19 in 2020
- Over 7.5 million individuals in underserved communities supplied with entry to healthcare in 2020
- A worldwide group of social entrepreneurs nurtured via growth and scaling of sustainable fashions that present reasonably priced entry to high quality healthcare
Amsterdam, the Netherlands – Philips Basis, with its mission to offer entry to high quality healthcare for underserved communities via significant innovation, right this moment introduced publication of its 2020 Annual Report. The report outlines the success of greater than 75 initiatives in 2020 that resulted in 7.5 million individuals in deprived communities world wide gaining access to reasonably priced high quality healthcare providers. This consists of initiatives in China, Africa, Europe, and the Center East.
“2020 was an extremely difficult yr, with the COVID-19 pandemic bringing the significance of world entry to high quality healthcare into sharp perspective,” says Margot Cooijmans, Director of the Philips Basis. The urgency of our help responses worldwide took a stunning flight. I’m extremely grateful to all of the companions who joined forces with us in 2020 to ship well timed reduction in addition to lasting change, and to the workers of Philips and the Philips Basis, for his or her fixed help and vitality in placing our mission into motion – organizing entry to healthcare for underserved communities.”
When the COVID-19 pandemic struck initially of 2020, Philips Basis stepped up its efforts to guard these communities most in danger. Notable examples highlighted within the group’s Annual Report embrace:
- Healthcare gear for Thunder God Mountain Hospital (China) – with the help of Philips China, the Philips Basis donated urgently wanted healthcare gear with a worth of roughly EUR 2 million to the newly-built Thunder God Mountain Hospital in Wuhan metropolis to help the prevention and therapy of pneumonia related to COVID-19.
- AI software program to detect and monitor COVID-19 sufferers (South Africa) – with the assistance of implementation funding from the Netherlands Enterprise Company (RVO) and Dutch entrepreneurial growth financial institution FMO, the Philips Basis helped to deploy synthetic intelligence (AI) software program that deepens the evaluation of chest X-rays to assist the speedy triage and monitoring of COVID-19 sufferers in 11 South African hospitals.
- Machine studying and AI to establish epidemic outbreaks (Africa) – a donation by Philips Basis to determine a Virus Outbreak Knowledge Community in Africa aimed toward enhancing the findability, accessibility, interoperability and reuse of digital property, together with knowledge from Africa’s well being programs to establish and include COVID-19 outbreaks.
- Speedy deployment intensive care items (Italy and Lebanon) – growth and procurement help to create 20-bed cellular ICUs that may be quickly deployed to areas the place COVID-19 threatens to overwhelm native healthcare infrastructures. With monetary assist from the AFAS Basis and Noaber Basis, two of those items have been deployed to the Lombardy area and the island of Sardinia in Italy, and in collaboration with Philips Lebanon, the Lebanese Military, and the EU Civil Safety and Humanitarian Help (ECHO) group, one other was deployed in Lebanon’s capital, Beirut.
A full checklist of Philips Basis’s COVID-19 response efforts is on the market on its web site.
Along with its COVID-19 response efforts, Philips Basis succeeded in initiating new initiatives and protecting different ones going. Two examples that stand out are Philips Basis’s joint initiative with UNICEF to fund and help the ‘Maker Innovation’ challenge in Kenya, and its collaboration with UK charity International Motion Plan to launch the ‘The Clear Air for Colleges Framework’.
- Maker Innovation challenge in Kenya – a ‘change the system from inside’ initiative aimed toward attaining higher mother-, newborn-, and child-health in low-resource environments, by fostering native hands-on innovation and entrepreneurship to regionally create and manufacture options that meet native wants. The challenge’s ‘Maker House’ is provided with digital fabrication instruments and gear to be used by college students on the College of Nairobi. Via help from the Philips Basis and coaching from Philips, the challenge has already resulted within the growth of 19 medical gadget prototypes, seven of which have been judged appropriate for additional growth.
- Clear Air for Colleges Framework – a framework offering colleges, lecturers, mother and father and native authorities within the UK and the Republic of Eire with an externally validated motion blueprint for tackling air air pollution in and round colleges. With proof suggesting that halving outside air air pollution might end in a 20% to 50% discount within the variety of youngsters with poor lung operate , the software was so properly obtained that the blueprint is now being rolled out throughout Spain.
In 2020, Philips Basis made a strategic determination to deal with partnerships with social entrepreneurs to develop healthcare applied sciences and sustainable fashions that present underserved communities with reasonably priced entry to healthcare – fashions that leverage the enterprise and innovation experience and assets of Philips to facilitate resolution growth and scale-up.
Philips Basis helped 50 Wholesome Entrepreneurs franchisees in Uganda, small companies in native communities that promote over-the-counter medicines and well being merchandise, to develop their providers with diagnostic instruments and telehealth providers. This resulted in elevated public consciousness of illness, higher perception into sufferers’ situations, lowered affected person bills, and elevated income.
As well as, Philips Basis supplied a mortgage to CheckUps Medical, a supplier of reasonably priced main healthcare providers in Kenya and South Sudan, to assist extra low-wage households entry medicines and care, launch a cellular clinic, and additional develop CheckUps’ teleconsultation and residential care providers that began through the native lockdown. Philips Basis additionally enabled the organising of the Solvoz speedy humanitarian help procurement platform, in addition to the Mondmaskerfabriek, which initially of the COVID-19 disaster was the Netherlands’ first surgical face masks producer.
Because the Philips basis strikes ahead, it would proceed to foster innovation and create scalable fashions that make healthcare provision extra equal and open to tens of millions of individuals in underserved components of the world.
To learn the complete Annual Report, click on right here.
 Whitehouse A, Results of air air pollution publicity on baby well being and do interventions work?, Centre for Genomics and Little one Well being, Blizard Institute, Queen Mary College of London (UK) https://www.globalactionplan.org.uk/information/effects_of_air_pollution_exposure_by_dr_abigail_whitehouse.pdf
For additional info, please contact:
Tel.: +31 6 1852 6633
Concerning the Philips Basis
Philips Basis is a registered charity that was established in 2014 – based on the idea that innovation and collaboration might help remedy a few of the world’s hardest healthcare challenges for the underserved and make important influence. Reflecting our dedication to United Nations SDGs 3 (Guarantee wholesome lives and promote well-being for all in any respect ages) and 17 (Revitalize the worldwide partnership for sustainable growth), the mission of the Basis is to cut back healthcare inequality by offering entry to high quality healthcare for deprived communities. Philips Basis fulfills its mission by deploying Philips’ experience, progressive merchandise and options, by collaborating with key companions world wide (together with revered NGOs equivalent to UNICEF, Amref and Save the Kids), and by offering monetary help for the collaborative actions. Extra info on may be discovered at www.philips-foundation.com