LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Kentucky has been awarded greater than $763 million in federal funds to offer aid for baby care suppliers who’ve been financially impacted by the worldwide pandemic, in flip serving to households with younger youngsters.
The governor stated the funding helps extra than simply baby care.
“This funding is an funding not solely in our younger youngsters and their educators, however in our financial system as nicely,” Beshear stated. “My administration is dedicated to early childhood improvement and rebuilding the state’s financial system as we emerge from the COVID-19 disaster. This funding permits our baby care suppliers to remain open, retains mother and father within the workforce and retains our infrastructure robust to construct a greater Kentucky.”
The three-year funding is from the $1.9 trillion emergency aid invoice – the American Rescue Plan Act – which gives financial aid to our nation’s households, staff and companies. Of those funds, $39 billion was specified for the kid care trade, each for suppliers and to assist households who need assistance paying for baby care.
Cupboard for Well being and Household Providers (CHFS) Secretary Eric Friedlander, whose cupboard homes the Division of Youngster Care (DCC) within the Division for Neighborhood Primarily based Providers, stated the funding is a lifeline for the state’s financial system and for baby care suppliers.
“One of many biggest classes we’ve discovered over the past 12 months is that baby care is crucial. It not solely helps youngsters and households, it helps each different trade on this commonwealth,” Friedlander stated. “It’s time we acknowledge this not simply with our appreciation, however with assist resembling what is obtainable with this unimaginable funding.”
Friedlander stated earlier than the COVID-19 pandemic, in early 2020, Kentucky had baby care capability for 165,314 youngsters.
“We need to not solely hold that quantity however make it develop with a extra vibrant Kentucky financial system,” he stated. “We will maintain present suppliers and stabilize communities with baby care deserts that want extra choices for protected, wholesome baby care. This funding helps early studying and lays a robust basis for youngsters now and for his or her future.”
Friedlander stated the federal funding will likely be utilized in two methods.
The biggest a part of the funding – greater than $470 million – is for sustainability funds that will likely be distributed to baby care suppliers all through the state.
Friedlander stated 95% of this funding – $446,561,055 – is devoted to stabilization grants for eligible packages opened by the federal cutoff date of March 11, 2021. The remaining 5% – as much as $23,503,213 – is devoted to administrative bills.
He stated CHFS is on the lookout for companions to help with these grants, notably the distribution of the sustainability funds.
The second stream of funding, $293 million from the Youngster Care and Growth Block Grant (CCDBG) is barely extra versatile and has been designated for 4 particular functions:
- rising supplier funds;
- enhancing cost insurance policies;
- rising wages for early educators and household baby care properties; and
- rising the variety of high quality baby care choices for underserved populations.
Households might apply for help by the Youngster Care Help Program. A prescreening device and utility device is posted to kynect.ky.gov. Eligibility info can be accessible at native DCBS places of work, the place purposes are additionally accepted.
Suppliers will likely be contacted by DCC with particulars on the way to apply for funding. Suppliers might want to reply with a contract inside every week previous to the deadline. At the moment, the DCC will ship Youngster Care Conscious workers to services to inform them concerning the contracts and provide help with filling them out, if wanted.
Here’s a breakdown of really useful Kentucky tasks and prices by this funding stream:
- Continuation of the Public Faculty Preschool Partnership Program for subsequent three college years: $30 million;
- Enhance in Youngster Care Help Program (CCAP) reimbursement in the course of the size of the funding interval: $194 million;
- Pilot for CCAP contracts for toddler and toddler care all through the state: $18.9 million;
- Facility restore grants for baby care packages at present in operation: $20 million;
- Coaching academies for Kentucky credentialed trainers: $150,000;
- Kentucky apprenticeship program funding: $2 million;
- Elevated contributions to the Kentucky Early Childhood Scholarship Program: $7 million;
- Extra start-up grants for household baby care properties (over three years): $500,000;
- Enterprise partnership start-up funds (over three years): $2 million;
- Matching start-up grants for baby care packages in “deserts” (over three years): $four million; and
- Know-how system upgrades to attach all baby care knowledge methods: $14.7 million.
Secretary Friedlander stated there will likely be an utility course of for all packages eligible for grants, together with the preschool partnership packages, the toddler/toddler CCAP pilot program and the start-up program.
Discover extra details about the funding and baby care in Kentucky right here.