Humboldt County Division of Well being and Human Companies press launch:
On Could 10, 2021, California Gov. Gavin Newsom expanded the drought emergency proclamation to 41 counties, together with Humboldt. With this proclamation comes acknowledgement that droughts may cause adjustments to communities and the surroundings that impression public well being.
Decreased stream flows improve the focus of pollution in water and trigger stagnation and elevated water temperatures. Whereas hotter waters may be snug to swim in, they’ll additionally improve the expansion of some pathogens together with V. cholera, N. fowleri, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Campylobacter, Salmonella and dangerous algal blooms, resulting in diminished oxygen ranges that threaten fish and different aquatic life and may be dangerous to animals and folks. Decrease water ranges may improve the chance of harm by leaping or diving. Earlier than swimming in rivers, lakes or streams, comply with the following tips:
- Confirm water is deep and away from particles earlier than diving
- Keep away from swallowing river, lake or stream water or inhaling water spray whereas swimming
- Keep away from wading and swimming in water containing algal blooms
- Bathe after coming back from a day on the water
- Search medical consideration instantly when you assume that you simply, your pet or livestock might need been poisoned by dangerous algal blooms. You’ll want to inform the physician about attainable contact with dangerous algae.
- By no means drink, cook dinner with or wash dishes with water from rivers, streams or lakes.
Many residents in Humboldt County depend on groundwater, springs and the area’s many rivers and tributaries to satisfy their residential, agricultural and industrial water wants. With low precipitation and elevated evaporation of floor water, groundwater provides aren’t replenished at a dependable charge. In consequence, consuming water equipped from personal wells and floor water diversions could also be at greater danger for drought-related infectious illness.
People who find themselves aged, very younger or have a compromised immune system could also be prone to waterborne illness(s). The Humboldt County Division of Well being & Human Companies, Division of Environmental Well being (DEH) recommends the next actions to maximise public well being protections:
- Periodically verify water provide traces and fixtures for leaks
- Periodically ship consuming water samples to an accredited lab for bacteriological testing
- Implement extra water remedy measure to home consuming water provides
- Implement water saving strategies (e.g. rainwater catchment, greywater diversion) to lower water demand.
For extra info, name DEH at 707-445-6215 or 800-963-9241.