Welbodi Partnership is a UK-registered charity working to cut back maternal and baby mortality and morbidity in Sierra Leone. Since 2008, Welbodi Partnership has labored in partnership with the nation’s solely tertiary paediatric hospital – Ola Throughout Youngsters’s Hospital and the Ministry of Well being and Sanitation to enhance maternal and baby well being outcomes in Sierra Leone. We do that by way of a variety of well being system strengthening actions, employees coaching, hospital enchancment initiatives, and group engagement.
Our imaginative and prescient is that each one girls and youngsters in Sierra Leone may have entry to efficient important healthcare companies characterised by respect and dignity for all, together with sufferers, communities and employees. Our mission is to construct the capability of the well being system in Sierra Leone to cut back the variety of girls and youngsters who’re sick, endure, or die unnecessarily.
Ola Throughout Youngsters’s Hospital serves a crowded and disadvantaged native inhabitants, is in simple attain of round 1 million individuals (1/7 of the inhabitants), and is the one nationwide referral centre for paediatrics. Equally, Princess Christian Maternity Hospital is the one tertiary referral maternity facility in Sierra Leone and solely healthcare facility offering Complete Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal companies (C-EmONC) throughout the Western Space District. Based mostly right here, we implement capability constructing actions to catalyse enhancements in maternal and baby care supply.
*For additional info, please see: www.welbodipartnership.org*
One in ten youngsters in Sierra Leone die earlier than their fifth birthday (World Financial institution, 2019), primarily from preventable and treatable illnesses. A number of work stays to be carried out if Sierra Leone is to succeed in Sustainable Improvement Objective 3; making certain wholesome lives and selling well-being for all in any respect ages. While there are interventions, which tackle baby well being, there are few offering the high-level technical assist wanted. There’s an pressing want for high quality tertiary healthcare for kids, requiring skilled employees and well-equipped amenities to allow clinicians to make applicable selections about care.
The 2014 Ebola outbreak highlighted extreme challenges to Sierra Leone’s well being system: a restricted well being workforce in numbers and high quality, ineffective provide chains and challenged administration techniques. Sierra Leone has one of many weakest well being infrastructures on this planet and continues to be liable to outbreaks and different appreciable public well being points.
ODCH is a nationwide educating hospital with over 300 medical employees; round 75% are nurses, in addition to a steady stream of nursing and medical college students who rotate by way of the power as part of their undergraduate coaching. The nation data few specialist paediatricians nationally and no formal post-graduate paediatric coaching programmes in-country to bolster specialised paediatric care. The dearth in certified paediatric specialists and formal coaching alternatives requires a necessity for additional coaching for certified nurses, in addition to newly certified resident medical doctors and nurses, who attend to youngsters in amenities. Since college students and junior medical doctors, who might later take up jobs at district hospitals, have obligatory rotations by way of the paediatric hospital, our capability constructing work has the potential to impression the standard of medical care throughout the nation.
Welbodi Partnership is recruiting a Nurse Coach who, underneath the supervision of the Worldwide Nurse Coaching Co-ordinator and Welbodi Programmes Supervisor, will collaborate with the ODCH hospital administration to assist 12 months Three of its in-house nurse coaching programme. This may contain working with senior employees and the Ministry of Well being and Sanitation (MoHS) to establish precedence areas for improved paediatric coverage and training; analysis, design and ship Persevering with Skilled Improvement (CPD) programs; and implement cost-effective High quality Enchancment initiatives at ODCH.
This builds on our dedication to reply to the wants of well being employees and sufferers, and to assist the MoHS in addressing points at ODCH consistent with their strategic plan and obtainable sources.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The first focus of the Nurse Coach will likely be to implement Welbodi Partnership’s Paediatric Nurse Coaching Programme within the Ola Throughout Youngsters’s Hospital. The Coach will attempt to enhance affected person security and well being outcomes for kids by conducting analysis on medical finest apply and appropriate well being techniques strengthening approaches and rising each the quantity and the standard of Persevering with Skilled Improvement coaching modules designed and delivered at ODCH. This will likely be achieved by way of the identification, design, improvement and implementation of medical and non-clinical (paediatric) nursing CPD modules, while additionally contributing to the event of mechanisms to strengthen the well being system and embed a optimistic studying setting within the hospital.
The Coach will divide their time between 1. Main the identification, analysis, design and high quality assurance of finest apply, medical training by way of Persevering with Skilled Improvement techniques strengthening and a couple of. Supporting direct supply of CPD coaching and High quality Enchancment actions. They may assist and mentor ODCH’s Head of Nurse Coaching, in serving to to make sure the continual implementation of high-quality in-service coaching for nurses.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
The Nurse Coach will likely be primarily based within the Ola Throughout Youngsters’s Hospital and assist Welbodi Partnership’s Nurse Coaching programme actions, whereas offering medical assist to recognized wards and employees. They may work alongside the native medical and nursing employees to establish talent gaps amongst the nursing workforce, analysis and design coaching primarily based on finest medical apply and implement CPD modules and SOPs tailor-made to the Sierra Leone context to enhance well being outcomes for kids. While particular medical and non-clinical roles and tasks will likely be agreed in collaboration with Senior Administration and ward In-Cost Nurses, and reviewed all through the programme, major areas of focus will embrace:
- Determine, analysis, design and ship Continuous Skilled Improvement coaching modules for medical employees in recognized wards.
- Co-ordinate and assist hospital enchancment actions to strengthen employees data, practices, and attitudes.
- Organise academic programs and seminars.
- Provide technical recommendation to the Ministry of Well being and Sanitation to assist the event of coverage and training for baby well being companies.
- Assist senior nursing employees, responding to rising wants the place attainable.
- Present medical assist and assist finest apply in recognized wards.
- Carry out every other duties deemed mandatory to satisfy programme aims and targets.
1. RESEARCH & QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
- Conduct analysis and literature critiques on finest medical apply and nurse coaching modules replicate modern points in medical apply.
- Develop and design new CPD coaching programmes and High quality Enchancment initiatives, primarily based on finest apply and tailor-made to native wants.
- Assist the availability of evidence-based nursing inputs into the formation and overview of Hospital insurance policies & procedures.
- Assist ongoing curriculum overview and implementation, with a specific give attention to strengthening the event of sensible expertise and implementation of evidence-based apply.
- Evaluate and assess present (paediatric) nurse coaching modules and guarantee their alignment to WHO ETAT, MoHS and West African Colleague of Physicians (WACP) requirements.
- Create a tradition of studying inside ODCH’s nursing employees.
- Liaise with key actors to drive high quality enchancment of Welbodi’s Nurse coaching programme and characterize Welbodi Partnership on applicable teams and committees, the place mandatory.
2. TRAINING & CLINICAL COMPETENCE
- Liaise with senior nursing employees, the ODCH administration crew, and workforce to establish coaching wants and tips on how to tackle these wants by way of CPD, on an ongoing foundation.
- Lead the identification, design, implementation and analysis of CPD programmes.
- Assist senior ODCH employees in creating their expertise within the areas of educating, evaluation and academic analysis.
- Assist the supply of coaching, training, orientation and induction programmes as agreed with the ODCH Coaching Workplace and WP’s Grants and Programme Managers.
- Mentor and prepare ODCH nurses to determine in-house coaching capability.
- Present academic technical recommendation to the Welbodi Partnership medical crew.
3. PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT
- Assist the supply of varied donor-funded initiatives within the space of Nurse Coaching.
- Liaise with Nurse Coaching Coordinator, Programmes Managers and different colleagues to finish inside and donor reviews the place wanted.
- Contribute to Enterprise Improvement by way of the identification of funding wants and alternatives and thru technical contributions to the bid-writing course of.
- Assist MEL information assortment and evaluation actions associated to the Nurse Coaching programme the place mandatory.
- Make sure that all Nurse Coaching paperwork are correctly filed on Welbodi’s Shared Drive System for reference and retrievable for donors, audits and the WP crew at any time when required.
- Promote donor compliance, making certain that Nurse Coaching crew colleagues perceive and cling to donor laws as stipulated in grant contracts.
- Adjust to all of Welbodi’s insurance policies and procedures. Present supervision and line administration to worldwide volunteer nurses and worldwide elective college students, as mandatory.
- Inculcate a way of accountability, accountability and pleasure in programme excellence inside the crew.
- A recognised skilled diploma in nursing and present skilled registration in dwelling nation.
- A minimal of two years post-qualification expertise inside a hospital setting and/or educating setting (reaching a minimal NHS Band 5 (or equal)).
- A further qualification or important expertise in paediatric nursing.
- Certificates Ed, PGCE, MSc or different qualification in training or analysis.
- An academic qualification or diploma in paediatrics, tropical drugs (or related).
- Expertise in delivering nursing training for an educational establishment or hospital, with confirmed outcomes.
- Earlier expertise of working or travelling or working in Low or Center-Earnings International locations.
- Expertise of workforce improvement and techniques strengthening.
- Expertise within the charity sector and/or in impoverished, post-conflict, or different difficult environments.
- Greater than 6 months’ work expertise inside Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Expertise of writing donor reviews.
- Demonstrated Undertaking Administration expertise – management, communication, planning, time administration, funds and threat administration, negotiation expertise and technical experience.
- Expertise of working strategically with Hospital Administration, Regulating Our bodies and Departments.
- Data of healthcare techniques, medical high quality administration (High quality Enchancment/High quality Assurance) and threat administration.
- Demonstrated skill to evaluate wants, design and implement programmes and consider outcomes.
- Confidence in working with senior employees from accomplice organisations together with the Authorities.
- Data of West African Faculty of Doctor and ETAT Requirements
- Data of related evidence-based approaches to bettering maternal, neonatal, and baby well being, and of nationwide and worldwide methods and frameworks in these areas.
- A eager grasp of the function performed by an organisation like Welbodi Partnership within the context of world well being and improvement.
- Potential to self-motivate and work autonomously inside the scope of the function with minimal supervision.
- Glorious interpersonal expertise, verbal communication expertise, and demonstrated skill to work collaboratively cross-culturally.
- Glorious pc expertise in Excel, Phrase and PowerPoint.
- Potential to work nicely underneath strain and ship to deadlines while sustaining a superb degree of written work.
- Captivated with bettering nursing requirements and a eager curiosity in Well being System Strengthening.
- Potential to work successfully with others in a cross-cultural setting, as a pacesetter and influencer.
- Absolute dedication to educating and studying and expertise enchancment of others.
- A crew participant who reveals enthusiasm for partnership and improved baby mortality and morbidity in Sierra Leone.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Dedication to the targets and ideas of Welbodi Partnership.
- Fluency in Krio and/or different native languages fascinating.
GENERAL POLICIES PROCEDURES AND PRACTICES
Along with the important thing job tasks detailed on this job description all workers and volunteers at Welbodi Partnership are anticipated to adjust to the final duties outlined under and detailed in full in our insurance policies.
Welbodi Partnership is dedicated to safeguarding and selling the welfare of youngsters, younger individuals and weak adults. All employees and volunteers are due to this fact anticipated to behave in such a approach thatsupports this dedication. Candidates for this place ought to be conscious that if profitable, they are going to be requested to finish a police test. The Welbodi Partnership complies totally with the UK’s Disclosure and Barring Service Code of Follow.
Welbodi Partnership complies with the Normal Information Safety Regulation (GDPR).
EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
Welbodi Partnership is dedicated to a complete coverage of Equal Alternatives in volunteering and employment by which people are chosen and handled on the premise of their related deserves and skills and are given equal alternatives inside the organisation. It’s the Welbodi Partnership’s coverage as an employer to deal with all individuals equally no matter race, ethnic origin, nationality, intercourse, marital or parental standing, sexual orientation, creed, incapacity, age or political perception.
Welbodi Partnership operates in tertiary and first healthcare amenities in one of many world’s poorest nations. Consequently, working circumstances might be difficult, together with many issues taken without any consideration in different working environments, similar to working water, energy, communications, employees competency and common provides of important medicines and tools – a lot of this stuff aren’t a given within the environments the place we work. While each affordable effort is made to make sure a protected working setting, this can be a difficult context, a lot of which is out of our management. Welbodi Partnership locations a robust emphasis on employees well being and wellbeing and strives to make sure employees consolation always.
This job description ought to be seen as a information to the duties required and isn’t definitive or restrictive in any approach. The duties of the put up could also be diverse every so often in response to altering circumstances.
It is a stipended volunteer place. The total remuneration bundle will likely be mentioned with shortlisted candidates, which is able to embrace an in-country stipend, lodging, communication allowance and transportto and from the hospital.