Longmont’s Metropolis Council on Tuesday evening is to contemplate last approval of an ordinance that may make unsweetened drinks the default choice for youngsters’s meals in native eating places and cafes, efficient Jan. 3.
That Wholesome Drinks for Youngsters’s Meals ordinance acquired unanimous approval from councilmembers’ preliminary vote on the measure Aug. 24. If it will get last adoption Tuesday evening, it could put into place that Longmont eating institutions serving youngsters’s meals make “nonetheless water or glowing water with no added sugar, or dairy milk or nondairy milk substitutes with no added sugar” the popular choices on the restaurant menus for teenagers’ meals.
The ordinance wouldn’t impede clients’ potential to order a unique beverage or the restaurant’s potential to promote them a unique choice. A father or mother, guardian or different grownup shopping for the meal might nonetheless order a soda or sugar-sweetened drink for the kid as an alternative.
Tuesday’s council vote on the measure can be preceded by a public listening to at which individuals can converse as much as three minutes every to assist or oppose the ordinance, or to recommend modifications within the model authorised in August.
Whereas there was no formal public listening to earlier than that preliminary Aug 24 council approval of the ordinance, three individuals — Linden Road resident Gregory Harris, who’s a candidate for mayor; Taylor Drive resident Steve Altschuler, and Emery Courtroom resident Jeffrey Justice — went to the microphone throughout a separate public-invited-to-be-heard portion of that evening’s assembly to voice their opposition.
Nobody testified that evening for the measure, though the proposal for an ordinance has had the backing in earlier council conferences and information conferences over the previous yr and a half by representatives and members of a number of organizations, together with St. Vrain Wholesome Children, Wholesome Longmont and Boulder County Public Well being.
The ordinance itself states the council has discovered:
- “That the well being and well-being of kids is of main concern for the Metropolis of Longmont”
- “That Boulder County’s childhood weight problems charges have nearly doubled, 43%, since 2003 and a couple of in 4 youngsters is experiencing chubby or weight problems”
- “That youngsters with weight problems are not less than twice as doubtless as youngsters with a wholesome weight to have weight problems in maturity. Youngsters and adults with weight problems are at higher danger for quite a few adversarial well being penalties, together with kind 2 diabetes, coronary heart illness, stroke, hypertension, sure cancers, melancholy and different debilitating ailments”
- “That obesity-related well being situations have severe financial prices. Estimated annual well being care prices from weight problems in the US are $190 billion — or 21% of complete well being care spending — and are anticipated to rise considerably. Roughly 40% % of those prices are paid by means of Medicare and Medicaid, which implies that taxpayers foot a lot of the invoice.”
- “That youngsters who drink not less than one sugary drink per day are 55% % extra more likely to be chubby or overweight and two-thirds of kids eat not less than one sugary drink on a given day”
- “That key nationwide well being and vitamin organizations, together with the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Coronary heart Affiliation, suggest youngsters 5 and below shouldn’t be given any drink with added sugars.”
- “That many households lack ample time to acquire and put together wholesome meals, making eating out an interesting and sometimes vital choice. Because of this, greater than one-half of meals expenditures in the US are spent exterior the house. Nationwide, American 9 youngsters acquire 25% of their energy from eating places” and
- “That by enacting this ordinance, Council intends to assist mother and father’ efforts to feed their youngsters healthfully by making certain that wholesome drinks can be found to youngsters in eating places.”
Tuesday’s Longmont Metropolis Council assembly is to start out at 7 p.m. within the Civic Heart Council Chambers, 350 Kimbark St. Folks can enroll upfront within the hallway exterior the council chambers to talk through the public listening to on the sugary-drinks ordinance.